24 May 2004

Birthday Machinations Continue


      Not much of an update today, as I have to head off for a birthday to-do for my two cousins, twins separated by four years. (Both share the same birthday, both born of the same parents, but one is five and the other is just turning one.) There are entirely too many birthdays in May, which is all to suggestive of what way too many people were wont to do in September. I'm not sure I have the energy for today-- the elder of the cousins is the little guy most enamoured of using Doctor J as his private human jungle jim. Pray for me. I may end up in traction before the day is out.

      So, not much of an update, but I found this little tale amusing from Warren Kinsella's blog (which I copy here because WK doesn't have permalinks). If you can't figure out who Very, Very Senior Person is, just think who would most appreciate the "Making History" of yesterday....

May 23, 2004 - Okay, picture this. You're in the parking lot at Target in Niagara Falls, New York. Your wife and daughter are inside Target, of course, and you've got the boys in the van. Waiting.

A certain very, very senior former, um, Privy Councilor calls on your cell phone. The two of you are talking about the days' events, with relish, because it's an historic day. Sort of.

Anyway. Your four-year-old starts to shriek: “Daddy, I have to pee! I have to pee!”

Unable to leave two little boys in the van for a mad dash to Target's toilet, and unwilling to terminate the phone call with the Rather Important Former Politician, you opt for a middle course: continuing the conversation, you slide open the van door so that the four-year-old may relieve himself on the pavement. Illegal, perhaps, but necessity is the mother of invention, etc.

Things are going well. You are proud of yourself. Then you look across to the next row of cars - where two police cruisers are stopped. Then you look down.

Where a steady stream of little boy pee is soaking your right shoe.

This is a true Warren story. The names have been changed to protect the culpable.
Okay, it amused me, especially on a day like today.

No comments:

Blog Archive