25 September 2004

Wedgies and Weights and Origami Condoms

      Dave Barry's column this week rings a smidgen close to the Not-So-Good Doctor's permanently-disgruntled heart, or the miniature onyx shards of it that remain. Why? In part because it's a whinge of the puny (or, as we prefer to be called, "the undermassed"), but also because of this lovely little touch that is oh-so-very-very true:

It was a difficult time for me, but one day my mom, bless her heart, had a talk with me. She told me that girls were not interested only in looks - that the qualities that really mattered were brains and a sense of humor. That little talk was long ago, but it taught me an invaluable life lesson I have never forgotten: Moms lie when they have to. The truth is that - and I speak here as a trained humor professional - women are definitely more interested in muscles than a sense of humor. You will never hear a woman say: "I wish Brad Pitt would put his shirt back on and tell some jokes!"
Hail, hail.... Brains and a sense of humour.... Oh, that chestnut never gets old, does it?  

      See also Gene W's column on those infernal 411 services.   Remember the days when you could actually ask another person for assistance? No? I don't either....

No comments:

Blog Archive