09 September 2004

Hit The Charts, Jack

      Might I say, this pleases this blog immensely:

Three months after his death, Charles' final studio set "Genius Loves Company" (Concord/Hear Music) debuted at No. 2, the R&B legend's first top 10 album in 40 years. The album, which features duets with the likes of Van Morrison, Norah Jones and Willie Nelson, sold 202,000 copies. Charles last appeared on the big chart in 1993 with "My World" (Warner Bros.), which peaked at No. 145. [from Reuters]
(My World, by the way, is a mixed-bag of an album, but it features two brilliant covers, one of Leon Russell's "A Song For You" and the other of Paul Simon's "Still Crazy After All These Years," that are as powerful as anything in Charles' canon. And those of you more contemporary might be urged to notice that K-OS's new hit "Crabbuckit" owes more than a bit to "Hit The Road, Jack.") The Washington Times' review is here.

      Yes, I'm a bit of a sucker for this stuff, mainly, I think, because it appeals to my own desire to believe there are still glimmers of justice in this increasingly crass world.

No comments:

Blog Archive