19 April 2004

A Valediction: Forbidding Morning


      It's worth observing in relation to this that in my eight years of teaching at the university level, I have NEVER taught a class that wasn't first thing in the morning (8.30 or 9.30) or last thing in the afternoon (4.30), a polarity of fates too cruel to discuss here. But as an insomniac who has had more than his fair share of early classes as both a graduate, an undergraduate, and a teacher, I say this: fuck 'em, the bloody whiners. Suffer like the rest of us. All-nighters toughen you up like worn leather. People today need some toughening up. Where the hell is Howard Hawks when we need him? Grumble, grumble. Yes, the world should have to suffer exactly as I have been forced to suffer because I'm a cynical, mean-spirited and vengeful God. ;-)

No comments:

Blog Archive