21 April 2004

Someone Had Blundered


      Sorry, folks, won't likely be much of an update today-- or perhaps even tomorrow-- as I hash through the last of the marking and the calculation of grades for my charges. The prospect is to have everything done for Friday and I'm working against the clock (not to mention an overwhelming sense of ennui and fatigue on my part). Zelda has said on more than a few occasions that she's glad she isn't me, having to mark essays -- she has umpteen-thousand exams to mark, but not essays-- and it's at times like this I think she's right. To rewrite a famous line from a story by D.H. Lawrence, There must be more coffee, there must be more coffee.... And no, Doctor J is not like Paul in Lawrence's story, killing kittens as he goes. Filthy poy-voyts....

      Anyway, will update when time is available. Kewpie dolls to anyone other than RK who can spot the source for the title of this entry. Try to do it without using a search engine. (Well, actually there are two: there's the actual original, and then there's a significant reconstruction of it in 1927. Figure out both and you'll have something invaluable: my everlasting respect. Okay, not that invaluable, but you catch my meaning.) Back to the grind.



      UPDATE: How disappointing; I guess no one deserves my everlasting respect. ;-) The answers were: Alfred, Lord Tennyson, from his poem "The Charge of the Light Brigade"; and Virginia Woolf, from her novel To The Lighthouse.

No comments:

Blog Archive