16 November 2004

The Remains Of Hope

      There seems to be bad news from Iraq on the survival of the hostage Margaret Hassan.   Bastards.   Call it a shred of chauvinism on my part (though I tend to think of it as an ounce of chivalry), but I've always felt that going after women-- and children-- in war preternaturally vile. I can't explain it logically, but it seems to violate some antediluvian code of decency. I don't know.   But let us hope there's still a trace of hope at the end of this for Ms. Hassan and for her family, even if the outlook seems increasingly bleak. If, however, the worst has come to pass, I hope the scum responsible are made to suffer slow and incredibly belittling deaths, perhaps but not necessarily involving the incremental laceration of their penii in a public place using thin sheets of paper, a pair of rusty pliers and extraordinary amounts of salt.

No comments:

Blog Archive