17 November 2004

Kooser and Kooser Still



      Is everyone ready to meet the new Poet Laureate of the United States?   His name is Ted Kooser, and he's a retired insurance company employee.   Gee, I thought Wallace Stevens had the patent on that racket. There's a more official biography here, and you can glance at a few of his poems here.   I have to admit, I'd never heard of him before today, but I guess now I'm going to have to give him a more studying glance. Have to say, the stuff I have seen so far hasn't especially impressed me, but that may simply be the limitations of what's available online.   Whatever else, the man seems to have the rustic-Americana look dead-to-rights.   Seems like his publishing company-- U of Nebraska P-- has decided to market him as a cross between Robert Frost and Bob Vila.  

No comments:

Blog Archive