12 September 2003

Me Sez Nussing, Me Sez Nussing


For the sake of general anonymity, I'll leave this ambiguous, but why is it that the things people most vehemently criticize about others are the *same damned things* that they so fliply practice otherwise, or at least have practiced in the recent or not-so-recent past? At the risk of sounding sexist, I find this attribute (facing me, at least) most often in female form, as they criticize other women (and very often their sex in general) for things they do themselves, and very often do in much greater degrees. I'm aware men may be just as guilty of such hypocrisy, but I find it especially insidious in females, largely because they tend to be almost religiously oblivious to their own hypocrisy, and when it is pointed out to them, they merely become defensiveness and blame on 'feminine prerogative' or some other euphemism for 'fuck off.' (Has anyone ever heard of the arbitrary nature of 'masculine prerogative? I don't think so.) Why is it that if a man is caught in a hypocrisy, he's a jerk or a dog or some other like thing, but when a woman is caught in a hypocrisy we're supposed to let it slide? Ah, another trait that bothers me, not about women specifically, but about people generally: selective accountability.

(The further irony to this, that most women I know *will* admit they do this in one-on-one conversations, so long as they're not taken to task on it, and they don't have to do anything about it. But say the same thing in mized company and the result is very, very different. Go figure.)

Maybe I'm too idealistic, or maybe I was raised by a set of codes and ideals that these days seem old-fashioned or naive. I don't know. But accountability and honesty (to oneself and to others, and *both* at the same time) shouldn't, as I see it, be things we pick and choose. *Shrug* Or maybe I am out-dated after all.

No comments:

Blog Archive