01 July 2003

Our Home and Native Land

I guess I should say something about this being Canada Day. There, I just did.

But seriously, this hasn't been Canada's millenium, has it? SARS, Mad-cow, idiotic Olympic scandals, international backlash for our political positions, a society and economy that is increasingly Americanized in nature and in practice, gay marriages, and so on and so forth-- I don't think Canada has been this prominent in international news in decades, especially in American news coverage. This of course worries me: whenever the US starts noticing a country's existence, it's ripe either for invasion or jingoistic ridicule. "Blame Canada" now seems awfully prescient, doesn't it?

Well, Happy Birthday, Canada, even if, sadly, day by day you seem less and less the Canada I imagined you.

No comments:

Blog Archive