17 July 2003

I'll Probably Regret This Later

I've learned over the years that I should always try to take the high road, but that 'should' has to do with morality and with my own gut. Unfortunately, taking the high road in practice usually means regretting it later, because it tends to open one up to attack or abuse later. So what does one do? The practical would say just to do what is best for one's own good, but the idealistic would say to take the high road; so which is right? Which is better?

I guess what it comes down to is a test of one's ideals-- and how much they ultimately mean to you. Ideals always come with a nasty catch: can they survive the brutalities of the world, and the actions that will most assail you? Ideals like faith survive only in their practice and their survival, no matter what a beating they take.

No comments:

Blog Archive