21 July 2003

Cool....


The American poet W. S. Merwin-- on the heels of Seamus Heaney's recent translation of Beowulf-- has done a modern verse translation of the wonderful Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Actually, it was apparently released in Autumn 2002, but it takes a while for things to catch up with me. Looks promising. Here is a review from the Yale Review of Books. Will have to pick up a copy.

Somewhere in my archives a have damned good paper I wrote on Gawain that I should revamp and submit for publication. And in all the literature I've read on the poem, I've only seen a few attempts to make an argument similar to the one I made-- and none of those handled things in quite the way I did, or nearly as brilliantly. ;-) Way way back when I was young & spirited & possibly ingenious. LOL.

No comments:

Blog Archive