12 August 2003

"I Didn't Sell My Soul, I Just Took Out A Loan"

What the hell has happened to all my CDs? Between general misplacings, various clumsy losses and the idiotic loaning of discs to so-called 'friends' of mine over the years, I've lost quite a bit of my music collection. Van Morrison's A Sense of Wonder, Down The Road, The Healing Game, Moondance, Days Like This, No Guru No Method No Teacher, How Long Has This Been Going On?; Bruce Hornsby's Harbor Lights; Robbie Robertson's Music for the North Americans; Leonard Cohen's The Future, Ten New Songs, and Various Positions; John Lee Hooker's Chill Out; the Chieftains' The Long Black Veil; Ray Charles' Anthology; these are just a few of the absentees in my collection, most of which I still have the jewel cases for, but not the actual discs. God only knows how many others have gone missing via one scenario or another. That's it. I'm never lending anyone anything again. Maybe a couple are hanging loose around the house, but I doubt it. This is very frustrating.

On the flip side, this morning-- for the first time in what has to be several years-- I dug out Hornsby's A Night On The Town, and album I've always liked. Listening to it now (it was released in 1990), it still sounds quite good. For lack of a better phrase, the album is good 'country driving' music, and it's also good writing music. And I miss popular music that uses strong piano lines.

Good seed don't grow
On the barren ground
Good things just don't come along
As you sit dreaming on
Good seed don't grow
On the barren ground
Say everything fades away
There you are, still around
What'll you do, where will you go
--- Hornsby, "Barren Ground"

No comments:

Blog Archive