20 August 2003

His Face Rings A Bell.... Just Like Quasimodo's

Over the years, like anybody, I've been subjected to statements that begin with (or otherwise echo) "you know who you look like?" or "you know who you remind me of?" and it's always turned out that the names that get brought out are names I do not in the least understand, or that I do not in any way see the logic for comparison. Moreover, I can't say the comparisons ever feel complimentary. For example, years ago, a woman in a grad class told me that I looked like Ewan McGregor in Trainspotting (!?!?!). I still do not see that, then or now, but it was especially weird since I think I resemble Ewan McGregor as much as I resemble Jar Jar Binks. (No comments from the peanut gallery, please.) Another woman thinks I look like a young Anthony Perkins, which, again, I do not see, but which sends chills down my spine, in part being compared to an actor famous for playing psychopaths. She claims it's more the Perkins of Desire Under the Elms, but I still don't see it, and I still don't like it, damn it. When I've had a beard, I've been compared countless times to Jesus, though it seems anybody with a brown beard gets that these days. But, of course, I've also been told (more than once) that I look like Hitler (!), most recently like the Hitler played by Noah Taylor in Max, and I frankly don't see the basis for comparison. Somebody recently said I look like Ralph Fiennes in The End of The Affair; another, some time ago, said I looked like Jeremy Irons (WTF!?!?!); another said I looked like Willem Dafoe, which I absolutely do not see. It boggles the mind. And people wonder why I wince whenever people say I remind them of someone-- the comparison is pretty much pre-destined to be incomprehensible to me, and sometimes offensive (even if the person saying whatever is saying they don't intend to offend). Now, to be honest, there's no one I think I particularly look like, and there's no one to whom I would particularly like to be compared, but, geez, this is ridiculous. *Shakes head repeatedly* So many comparisons (I'm mentioning only a few here), and not a one I can say "Hey, I like that" to.... Ugh.

On the flip side, I guess I can honestly say that I've never received anything because of my looks. I'm not sure if that's entirely a good thing or not.

No comments:

Blog Archive