08 March 2007
Slings and Harrows: A Random Thought
Contemporary critical theory is like a trebuchet: its design is sophisticated, but it's also cumbersome, often impractical, and for the complex calculations involved, it misses its mark more often than not. For those seeing it in action for the first time, it can seem awesome and powerful; but its advancement on its predecessors is minimal, and almost always-already obsolete, and so it impresses less and less as one discovers its virtues are seldom as great as its detractions, especially as one realizes how long it takes to set the damned thing up properly before it fires its first shot. Ultimately, it's just an elaborate device for slinging things, capable of great devastation, but one that demands extensive defending if it it's going to remain of any use at all. Yet no object quite like it allowed for the offensive hurling of stones and at-hand garbage in a fashion so admirably; the number of principles involved and accounted for, set in motion largely under their own weight, combined David's weapon with Goliath's magnitude, enabled the scientific siege. But ironically, for all its grandeur, its range was often significantly less than that of a skilled marksman, and maintaining it regularly cost more than it warranted. The larger, and less-defensible, the apparatus, the more self-defeating it becomes, even if now and then it could unleash Hell. Which, of course, was its entire raison d'etre.
- Friday Cat Blogging
- Out Of The Mouths Of....
- Seedy Gonzales
- Boelyn For Dollars
- Gettin' Icky With It, Part Deux; or Ooze Lines Are...
- Waiting to Exhale
- Gettin' Icky With It, or Whose Hairline Is It, Any...
- Licking Alec Guinness
- Walker, Texas Asshat
- Now Waaaaaait A Minute....
- Tuesday Tosses
- The End Of Rome (updated, briefly)
- Finally, We Have Found Dr J's Ideal Mate
- Has the whole world gone gay?
- The Hand That Rocks The Something-Something
- Touching Me, Touching You
- looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffin...
- crotch shot
- Goodbye Mr. Humphries
- The Berk and The Burke
- Here's An Interesting Idea....
- Deal of the week
- The Squeaky Wheel
- He Flees From Them That Sometime Did He Seek
- Churchill Downs
- Absolutely Fabulous
- Slings and Harrows: A Random Thought
- Up On My Soapbox
- Say You Will
- An Old Classic
- The Guinness Stout of the Renaissance
- Bugs of Iwo Jima
- But He Frowned Like Thunder And Went Away
- Pounding The Spud
- A Lint Of An Explanation
- ▼ March (36)
- ► 2006 (178)
- ► 2005 (380)
- ► 2004 (1435)