15 March 2007
Goodbye Mr. Humphries
Sad and belated news (I’m a couple of weeks behind as usual), I’ve just found out that John Inman passed away March 8th. Are You Being Served was one of the staple shows I grew up watching (disclosure: I caught it in reruns of course since I did not actually exist when it was in its first run), it was a Friday or Saturday night PBS thing that our family did until us kids were all too cool to stay at home. We usually watched some combination of AYBS with Fawlty Towers (again reruns), Blackadder later in the 80s and often we were forced to sit through Rumpole of the Bailey. This all took place way, way, way back in the days where there was one TV in the whole house, we only had antenna channels and the final decision for what we watched rested with the pater familias.
Anyhow, here's a good clip of John Inman as Mr. Humphries taking over as the Bliss Girl in the store
Having spent the last few hours scouring clips of these shows I think I have a new understanding of how my sense of humour developed the way it did and I'm a little surprised I was exposed to these shows but not allowed to watch Married with Children for some reason! A plethora of sexual double entendres to corrupt a young mind -thanks mom and dad.
Posted by nic at 11:28:00 PM
- Friday Cat Blogging
- Out Of The Mouths Of....
- Seedy Gonzales
- Boelyn For Dollars
- Gettin' Icky With It, Part Deux; or Ooze Lines Are...
- Waiting to Exhale
- Gettin' Icky With It, or Whose Hairline Is It, Any...
- Licking Alec Guinness
- Walker, Texas Asshat
- Now Waaaaaait A Minute....
- Tuesday Tosses
- The End Of Rome (updated, briefly)
- Finally, We Have Found Dr J's Ideal Mate
- Has the whole world gone gay?
- The Hand That Rocks The Something-Something
- Touching Me, Touching You
- looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffin...
- crotch shot
- Goodbye Mr. Humphries
- The Berk and The Burke
- Here's An Interesting Idea....
- Deal of the week
- The Squeaky Wheel
- He Flees From Them That Sometime Did He Seek
- Churchill Downs
- Absolutely Fabulous
- Slings and Harrows: A Random Thought
- Up On My Soapbox
- Say You Will
- An Old Classic
- The Guinness Stout of the Renaissance
- Bugs of Iwo Jima
- But He Frowned Like Thunder And Went Away
- Pounding The Spud
- A Lint Of An Explanation
- ▼ March (36)
- ► 2006 (178)
- ► 2005 (380)
- ► 2004 (1435)