19 January 2005

Watch Out For The Staples

      For those of you that are interested, the trailer for the new Chronicles of Narnia movie are available here. Can't say I'm particularly excited about it, given that it's being done by Disney, but that hardly matters-- I can count on one finger the number of movies I've actually gone to see on its initial release in the cinemas in the last five years, despite countless we just HAVE to go see that's and such. The irony (such as it is), though, is that about a year ago I was entertaining-- very glibly, really-- a call for a short biography of C.S. Lewis for some Canadian publisher whose name I now forget. Needless to say, I didn't. The publishing company wanted the manuscript done on such short notice that I doubt I could have done Lewis justice, and my patience for biography isn't what it should be for someone assuming such a task. You'd think someone with as much training in history as I have would be more interested in biography, but no: although I was never one to subscribe entirely to the whole "Death of the Author" theory, I was also never one to give much of a tinker's damn about an author's private life. Not even William Empson's Using Biography could make me rethink my position. **sigh** But there we are, another tale of a book that got away. One day I should write a book about all the ones that did.

No comments:

Blog Archive