04 January 2004

Rackham Up, My Friend...


In response to my posting of Eliot's "The Love Song of St. Sebastian," RK mentioned Arthur Rackham (1867-1939), the English illustrator, primarily (but not exclusively) of children's books. It occurred to me that most people may not recognize the name, so I tussled around the net very briefly and gathered a few sample images for people to look at here. I'm rendering them in popup form here, mainly to keep this page as quick-loading as possible, especially for people, comme moi, who are relegated to the cruelty of dialup access.

Some Sample Images

Comus, after Milton         Cordelia from King Lear         Valkyrie

Bottom from A Midsummer Night's Dream         Training of English Children

Some Links

For a quick listing of other Rackham sites on the web, click here.

For those especially interested, check out these plates from Rackham's edition of Lewis Carroll's Alice In Wonderland, from where, I must confess, I recognize Rackham.

See also this short bio from Artmagick.com.

No comments:

Blog Archive