05 January 2004

Let Reason Govern Thy Lament


      Oy vey, tomorrow commands my return to teaching; oh, Lord, why hast thou forsaken me? ;-) It's back to the long trips, the endless Tuesdays, yadda yadda yadda... Tomorrow, it's Titus Andronicus on the docket, which the kids will either love or loathe for its grotesque sensibilities. Blood and appendages, blood and appendages, and some good ole' fashioned Roman cuisine to whet the tastebuds. I should be interesting, though, when I return to see if mes enfants terribles recognize me. There's a kind of perverse pleasure to being able to change one's appearance rather drastically and send people for a loop, or at least for the "what the" second-takes I inevitably get when I shake things up. Age within youth, and youth within age. Tee hee.... Many of my acquaintances have said that I look twenty-two again, which I suspect is merely shock or exaggeration, but people may say whatever they wish to say.

      This, unfortunately, means that I have to spend most of today finishing up my marking and getting my shit back together after a hiatus roughly the same length as that of a TV series. It also means I should honker down and figure out specifically what I'm going to say in a few things coming up, including my pending lecture on Antony and Cleopatra. I now and again tease myself with thinking that I have a book in me on reinterpreting Shakespeare's secondary characters many of whom need to be carefully reunderstood, including Albany, Enobarbus, Marcus (fron Titus), Polonius, Michael Williams, Lennox, Jaques, Don Pedro, and others. Maybe one day. There's always so much to do. And yet what am I doing? Writing in this distracting blog when I should get all that marking done. Perhaps I should exit this entry with a dead march. I must let reason govern my lament. But I'd rather enjoy a last day of indolence. Ah, bugger all.

      (And yes, I know this must sound like a whinge. But dammit I'm allowed. Calgon, or Bushmills, take me away! ;-) ) Alas, to it. To all those of you getting back to the grind today, all I can say is this: *snicker snicker snicker* Monday, Monday...

No comments:

Blog Archive