11 March 2004

Make From The Shaft


"I have done you better service than to be slighted thus. Miserable age, where only the reward of doing well is the doing of it!"
         --- Bosola in John Webster's The Duchess of Malfi (1.1.32)

(Ironically, I quoted part of that line to Natalya the other day, but misattributed it to Othello. Boy, my brain really is turning to mush these days. *shrug*)

      I'm not planning on writing too much today, or even dealing too much (if at all) with links or oddities because, quite frankly, I'm pissed off. Severely. I'm aware that I've always been a bit of a maverick, a little off-the-beaten-path in my approach to matters, but it's always been a bit of a personal policy with me: respect me and I respect you. Suffice it to say that I'm feeling more than a wee disrespected of late; hell, I feel like I've been shived (or would that be 'shivved'?) in the back, and I'm suspecting there's more coming down the pike. Some might think that paranoid, and it may well be; but, as the saying goes, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's nobody following you.

      Needless to say, my (considerable) indignation right now is gathering, and I'm trying not to let it get the better of me (and those of you that know me know that I can becomes a terribly self-righteous muthafucka if pressed; certainly not a pretty sight). I'm also trying to maintain a degree of flippancy and humour about the whole thing. After all, I don't want to become one of those people I most loathe, the sanctimonious martyr. As Kevin Spacey says to Glynis Johns in The Ref, "You know what mom? You know what I'm gonna get you next Christmas? A big wooden cross, so every time you feel unappreciated for all your sacrifices, you can climb up and nail yourself to it." Ah, calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean, calm blue frickin' ocean.

      Maybe it's time to get my Bosola on.

No comments:

Blog Archive