25 May 2003

Some Random Things: Wisdom From The Strangest Places


"Not try. Only do or do not. There is no try." --- Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

"All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door." -- old adage, source unknown

"If you do not trust / you will not find what is trustworthy." -- Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching, tr. Timothy Freke

"Then what is good? The obsessive interest in human affairs, plus a certain amount of compassion and moral conviction, that first made experience of living something that must be translated into pigment or music or bodily movement or poetry or prose or anything that's dynamic and expressive-- that's what's good for you if you're at all serious in your aims. William Saroyan wrote a great play on this theme, that purity of heart is the one success worth having. "In the time of your life-- live!" That time is short and it doesn't return again. It is slipping away while I write this and while you read it, and the monosyllable of the clock is Loss, Loss, Loss, unless you devote your heart to its opposition."
-- Tennessee Williams in an essay normally called "The Catastrophe of Success," originally published in The New York Times 30 November 1947

"You've got to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight." -- Bruce Cockburn, "Lovers in a Dangerous Time"

"Now there's a beautiful river
In the valley ahead
There 'neath the oak's bough
Soon we will be wed
Should we lose each other
In the shadow of the evening trees
I'll wait for you
And should I fall behind
Wait for me
Darlin I'll wait for you
And should I fall behind
Wait for me..." --- Bruce Springsteen, "If I Should Fall Behind"

"Optimists belittle nothing.
Cynics belittle everything.
Midgets simply belittle." -- old adage, origin unknown

...Stuff to keep in mind... And a short addendum: I've heard through the grapevine that I've received a another generous vote on ratemyprofessors.ca (why a TA is on there..., but never mind), and (whuda thunk it) another chili pepper. I'm now 50% hot. LOL. If the donator of that rating and the very kind comments thereto is reading this (and I suspect you are), thank you.

No comments:

Blog Archive