03 May 2003

"'The great thing, Mr. Strether will show you,' she smiled, 'is just to let one's self go.'"
--- Mme. de Vionnet in Henry James' The Ambassadors (1902).

Aside: it remains a mystery to me why more people don't read James. Young people today, if they've encountered James at all, only know "The Turn of the Screw," or maybe Portrait of a Lady. Maybe I should think up a James course.... Even if the kids would run kicking and screaming from it when they saw the reading load. The Golden Bowl alone would send shivers down their itty bitty spines. He he he. I love it.

"One went through the vain motions, but it was mostly a waste of life. A personal relation was a relation only so long as people either perfectly understood or, better still, didn't care if they didn't. From the moment they cared if they didn't it was living by the sweat of one's brow; and the sweat of one's brow was just what one might buy one's self off from keeping the ground free of the wild weed of delusion." -- also from The Ambassadors

"I don't trust air I can't see." -- Gene Hackman in Crimson Tide. I, sadly, concur.

Another hazy, lazy Saturday....

No comments:

Blog Archive