25 May 2003

From Graham Greene's The Comedians, the epilogic letter from Doctor Magiot: "Catholics and Communists have committed great crimes, but at least they have not stood aside, like an established society, and been indifferent. I would rather have blood on my hands than water like Pilate. I know you and love you well, and I am writing this letter with some care because it may be the last chance I have communicating with you. It may never reach you, but I am sending it by what I believe to be a safe hand-- though there is no guarantee of that in the wild world we live in now (I do not mean my poor insignificant Haiti). I implore you-- a knock on the door may not allow me to finish this sentence, so take it as the last request of a dying man-- if you have abandoned one faith, do not abandon all faith. There is always an alternative to the faith we lose. Or is it the same faith under another mask?"

No comments:

Blog Archive