07 June 2003

Bits and Pieces

** Parents have vacated pour la nuit. Joy! Meh, probably doesn't matter anyway, as I may head down to Chester's tonight.

** Cable station TNN has decided to change its name to Spike TV, for reasons that are beyond me. But in a striking gesture of ludicrous self-absorption, Spike Lee has decided to sue the owners of the network for using his name without his permission. *smashes head against keyboard repeatedly* Yet another living proof of the value of birth control. *sigh* Then again, by that logic I think I can file a great suit against Pearl Jam; after all, that damned song of theirs caused me no end of pain and suffering....

** Spent several hours with some of my family today and am 'feeling the burn,' so to speak, not so much from the at-long-last-manifest sun but from the arduous task of playing for several hours with four children under the age of five (five if one includes the newborn who slept peacefully most of the time). My much-younger cousin (he's 19) and I spent most of the afternoon on play/supervise duty, and, frankly, it exhausted me. I just don't think I have the energy I used to have. Further argument in favour of birth control.... Don't get me wrong: I love the little darlings, but I cannot fathom the task of taking care of children constantly anymore. Six or seven years ago yeah, but not now.

** Actual Exchange:
Old Friend of Mine: Do you search out insanity or does it just find itself magnetically attracted to you?
Me: Through the sharp hawthorn blow the winds....
Old Friend: Huh?
Me: Poor Tom's acold.
Old Friend: What?
Me: Purr! The cat is grey.
Old Friend: What the fuck are you talking about?
Me: Do de de de, Sessa!
Old Friend: Are you pissed? I asked if....
Me: Childe Roland to the dark tower came...
Old Friend: Oh, I see. Very funny. Smart ass.
Me: Bless thy five wits.
Old Friend: You're a bastard.
Me: Fie fo and fum.
Old Friend: Fuck, you're on a roll now, aren't you?
Me: Fathom and half, fathom and half!

More seriously, old friend (if you're reading this), I don't look for it-- it just seems to find me. Insanity is like Augustine's God-- it has centre everywhere and its circumference nowhere; I wonder if I know the grace of insanity as a poor substitute for God who, it seems, is on perennial vacation.

Good night, ladies, good night. Sweet ladies, good night, good night....

No comments:

Blog Archive