04 December 2006

Conversation Pieces

    In the spirit of Overheard in New York and its kin, a few random chunks of conversation from recent days, mostly (and regrettably) noted, as the 'Lizabethans used to say:
  • "She's got more than a little junk in the trunk.  She has a giant dump."  

  • "A gangbang's the only way to go."  Said by a young woman in a context I don't even want to know.  One imagines she'll be a loving and loyal wife one day; perhaps the prototype of the soccer-team mom?  (A voice for Conservatism in the next twenty years, like the hippies that came to vote for Reagan?)
Less memorably, after a bit of a chat in which my knowledge of poetry came up, I was asked, "Are you gay or what?"  No, I said, I'm as miserable and sardonic as they come.  Obviously, my attempt at a quip fell largely flat, but for once I'm rather pleased to be so negligible.  Oh, the bewilderments of accidental company....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, what bars are you hanging out at? I gotta go there! :)

Yes, I'm well aware of the whole gay=poetry equation. The common perception now is that, if you are cultured and know poetry, etc, you're probably gay! (outside academic contexts, of course).

Speaking of quips, go to Youtube and type in "Oscar Wilde Monty Python." It's an hilarious sketch I just recently saw in which Wilde's second attempt at one is a rank failure.

Dr J said...

It just always makes me chuckle how little discretion some people have these days. And others, conversely, are so prickly and censorious that you'd think they belonged to Victorian high-society. Go figure. Ironically and inevitably, though, the two parties become the same. All the world's a Hegelian thesis....

Anonymous said...

Well, that person obviously doesn’t know many gay men –poetry isn’t a red flag and I’m speaking as a woman who tends to assume most men are gay until proven otherwise. I was having a great chat with a man last week when suddenly he says “so I'm loving my new hot yoga instructor, he really makes you bend and sweat". The warning bells go off and a little deeper into the yoga talk I’m pretty certain about his orientation but I just shrug it off now besides, I was looking for a great hot yoga class to join!

Dr J said...

Well, as a chap whom has occasionally, ahem, "benefited" from being able to read a poem.... *rolls eyes sheepishly*

But nic, c'mon--- a guy taking yoga?? Aren't "straight" and "flexible" implicitly contradictory? ;-)

Blog Archive