11 October 2003

Quentin's Querulous Counting and Other Quibbles With QT


There's an interesting piece in The Scotsman by Mark Kermode (any relation to Sir Frank? I have no idea) about Quentin Tarantino's highly self-mythologizing gestures in relation to the release of Kill Bill Volume 1. One question for Kermode, though: yes, Tarantino is a revisionist self-historian, but could you expect anything less from a director so much enamoured with the very act of revisioning, whether thematically, stylistically, and structurally?

In another vein: this review seems to me to belong in the "Give Me A Bloody Break" file. Or does that make me a racist for dismissing this ridiculous exercise in smug punditry? This review reminds me all too much of a good deal of the cultural-critical pap now called scholarship in the academy. Oy.

And in another, er, vein, this review of the film had me chuckling, largely because I had moreorless the same thoughts in regard to Pulp Fiction. I may even have made the gesture myself a few dozen times....

I have to admit, I like this critic's observation, that Tarantino is the Madonna of the film world. With all that entails-- for good or for ill-- that sounds a little eerily right.

No comments:

Blog Archive