13 April 2005

Remedying A Confusion

      In my last entry on Monday, I wrote about "aspects of the Not-So-Good Doctor's life flying about like furniture in a Leonard Cohen video."   I've since received some emails wondering to what video I was referring, which I find something of a surprise the video in question to my mind indelibly impressive-- and quite famous to boot.   I forgot, however, that said video was released a dozen years ago, and I feel now as I've done more to date myself than any carbon process could.   (Sigh.   I wish I didn't keep doing that.   No wonder I ache in the places that I used to play.)

      The video, for those curious, is for "Closing Time," from his 1993 album The Future. The song, for the record, was Leonard's biggest hit ever in Canada, and it was on the strength of that song that Cohen rather inexplicably won the Juno Award for Best Male Vocalist, to which Cohen responded that only in a country like Canada could he win an award for Best Male Vocalist.   (And, ironically, lose for songwriting that same year.)   It's a great video, but unfortunately I can't find a link to it online.   If anyone else out there knows where to find it online, the Not-So-Good Doc would be immensely appreciative.

      In the interim, the best I can do is provide you with this image, which includes not just a chair flying but a rather lovely young woman (so typical of Leonard), as well as shots of his then-backup singers, Julie Christensen and Perla Batalla.   But what a terrific video, shot with surrealistic flair in gorgeous black-and-white, with probably the most photogenic shot-glasses in history.


      So, now you know.    Here's to the Johnnie Walker wisdom running high.

No comments:

Blog Archive